Sunday, June 23, 2019

Jesus in the Old Testament, Proverbs

Jesus in Proverbs



Jesus said this.
You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,” {John 5:39}
So where oh where can we find Jesus in the Book of Proverbs? Proverbs is not a Book of Prophecy. There is no direct Prophesy that says Jesus is coming. It’s not a Narrative Book so we can’t point to a Story that foreshadows Jesus coming. Proverbs is a Book of Poetry. It attempts to and succeeds to paint Pictures with its words. We must pause and think about these Passages. It’s in these times of quiet reflection we can be reminded of Jesus.

A Brother in Christ told me that he reads Proverbs daily. Since there are 31, you can read one a day. On the first of the Month Proverbs 1, etc, with two on the 30th on the months with only 30 days.

Proverbs start off with this simple Truth.
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.”
Solomon, son of David, King of Israel, wrote Proverbs for this reason.
“To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance, to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles.”
Every time you see Solomon use the word Wisdom and, or, Lord, you can think Jesus. After all, who is the Lord that we are called to trust? What is his name? Of course, the answer is Jesus.

From Proverbs 1:8-33 Solomon tries to instruct us that there is a VAST difference in walking in the World way and Living by Faith. Jesus told us this. Luke 9:62
“And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
The Word tells us again and again, we cannot be both Worldly and walk in Faith. We cannot serve to Masters. It is simply NOT possible.

Look at Proverbs 3:5-12
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine.

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights.”
Again,  who is the Lord that we are called to trust? What is his name? Of course, the answer is Jesus.

Then we get into Wisdom from the “Father” and Wisdom itself. Of course, where do you find this Wisdom? From God, through His Word. Turn to John 1
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”
The Word has always been. It created all things It was both with God and IS God. Then jump ahead a little and read this in John 1:14.
“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
Who was it that became Flesh? The Word. Who was the Word? God. Who became Flesh and dwelt among us? God. What is His Name? Jesus. Remember Jesus made this Statement, one of many that they wanted to kill Him for. John 8:58
“Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.””
Jesus is, was, and always will be, God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Ghost. He IS, was, and forever will be The Word in the Flesh. The Lord of Lord and the King of Kings. The Lord God Almighty.

Please do not get distracted in the fact that Solomon uses She and Woman in describing Wisdom. He was trying to portray a kind and nurturing nature. As a Mother takes loving care of her Children so will true Wisdom take care of those who cling to it.

Remember we are called “The Bride of Christ.” Does this mean we are Women? No of course not. Remember, Proverbs are Poems and in essence, Works of Art.

Look at this Passage in Proverbs 8. I will change one word.
“I, wisdom, {Change to “ I Jesus”} dwell with prudence, and I find knowledge and discretion. The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate. I have counsel and sound wisdom; I have insight; I have strength.

By me kings reign and rulers decree what is just; by me, princes rule, and nobles, all who govern justly. I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me. Riches and honor are with me, enduring wealth and righteousness. My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold, and my yield than choice silver. I walk in the way of righteousness, in the paths of justice, granting an inheritance to those who love me and filling their treasuries.

The Lord possessed me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of old. Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth. When there were no depths I was brought forth when there were no springs abounding with water. Before the mountains had been shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth, before he had made the earth with its fields, or the first of the dust of the world. When he established the heavens, I was there; when he drew a circle on the face of the deep, when he made firm the skies above, when he established the fountains of the deep, when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that the waters might not transgress his command, when he marked out the foundations of the earth, then I was beside him, like a master workman,and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man.

And now, O sons, listen to me: blessed are those who keep my ways. Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it. Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors. For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from the Lord, but he who fails to find me injures himself; all who hate me love death.”
This is clearly a picture of Jesus. Genesis 1:2
“The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.”
Then “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us,” and Jesus tells us this in John 14:21
Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”
Sounds Familiar? Jesus also, of course, told us this. John 3:16-18 
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.”
Believe and live, do not and die.
“For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from the Lord, but he who fails to find me injures himself; all who hate me love death.”
Proverbs 11:2
“When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.”
Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount Matthew 5:5
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”
Proverbs 14:16
“One who is wise is cautious and turns away from evil, but a fool is reckless and careless.”
Matthew 24:13
But the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.”
Proverbs 15:1
“A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”
Jesus?
You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.” {Matthew 5:38-45}
Proverbs 16:4
“The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.”
The Lord, Jesus Christ, IS returning. He is coming back. He tells us,
For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.”
He will come to Save the Chosen and Destroy the Wicked. He will judge all according to their own Works and the Sinful and Wicked will be Annihilated.

Just a couple more. Proverbs 18:1
“Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment.”
Jesus?
For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” {Matthew 16:25}
You can find many many more examples, like this one in Proverbs 18:10
“The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.”
Jesus said after His Resurrection in Acts 1:8
But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
Proverbs 30:4 declares this
“Who has ascended to heaven and come down? Who has gathered the wind in his fists? Who has wrapped up the waters in a garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what is his son's name? Surely you know!”
Matthew 3:16-17
“And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”
Do you know Jesus as your Savior? Have you been adopted into the Family of God? If not, say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a Sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus and His Sacrifice for me. I believe that He raised from the Dead. I repent my Sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." {Romans 10:9} You need to find a Church that God leads you to, and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A new Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him." {Colossians 3:10}

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.{2 Corinthians 13}

Until next time, be Blessed, be a Blessing, and Jesus is Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...