Sunday, August 13, 2023

Covetousness vs Contentment

 Which do you choose?

Hey folks. Welcome, today. Today we continue the series entitled Covetousness vs Contentment. What is Covetousness? These all pretty much mean the same thing, but look at these definitions.

An inordinate desire for wealth or possessions or another's possessions and a craving for possession and power.

A painful awareness of another's possessions or advantages and a desire to have them too,

An intense selfish desire for wealth or possessions.

No matter how you define it. It is bad. So bad and so common, that God made it the Tenth Commandment.
“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.” Exodus 20:17
Last time we talked about why it is so bad, and we read examples of people who did covet, and the end result which was lying, stealing, and outright murder. We saw that these examples that we read in the Word were not done by evil and demon-filled people but by faithful and blessed people. One of them was King David himself.

So if people like this, like David, as God called a man after His own heart. Look here. God is talking to King Saul about David, though He did not name him.
“The Lord has sought out a man after his own heart, and the Lord has commanded him to be prince over his people because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you.” 1 Samuel 13:14
Also, read here in Acts 13:21-22.
“Then they asked for a king, and God gave them Saul the son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, for forty years. And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, ‘I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.’”
God chose David to be King, and He chose David to be the bloodline that would lead to the Christ's coming. Yet David did what? He coveted Bathsheba, causing him to commit kidnapping, rape, and while attempting to cover it up, murder.

How can we avoid covetousness in our lives? By changing our mindset. By changing the way we think. How do we do this? We have to change some of the basic, primary facts, about us, and how we see ourselves.

Who are you?
What are you supposed to be doing?
What does God say about us?

How do we do this? We start thinking up. Not down. Thinking spiritually and not of ourselves in the flesh. You can no longer, or I guess I should say, you should not, any longer look at yourself the way the world sees you.
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9
The only way you can see yourself the way God sees you is through this. {Holding up the Bible.} This is the only way. God’s Word will tell you exactly how God sees you. Are you a good person? I always thought of myself as a good person. If you ask, most will look at the question in an earthly, world sense. They would reason it out. "Let's see, I haven't been arrested. I love my spouse and kids. I give to charity, go to church on Sunday, and try never to speak ill of anyone. yes. I would say I was a good person."

However, the Bible tells us the truth. That without God, without Jesus, and the adoption into the family of God, you are nothing more than a wretch. You are guilty of sins that will send you straight to hell. It does not matter what the world says. It does not matter what you think, or do, or how much charity you give, you are dead and on your way to hell without the blood of Christ washing you clean. Even Jesus hated to be called “good.” {Matthew 19:17}

The Word declares the very distinct difference between walking in the flesh and in the Spirit.
“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:16-21
I highly recommend that you read Romans 8. That gives you an even more in-depth study of walking in the flesh as opposed to walking in the spirit. But for the sake of this message, let’s assume that you have overcome the world, through saying this prayer.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I believed He rose from the dead. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

Now you are a child of God. You are no longer just a creation. You are now a child of God. We are all God’s creation. However, make no mistake about it, we are NOT all children of God. The only way to be one is through adoption. Through the process. Through the blood of Christ.

Think about earthly families for a second. I was raised by a single parent. We all lived in my grandmother’s house until she passed on. Then I and my mother moved and we lived together. She worked two jobs to afford to pay the bills. As a kid, I saw her from 7 am to 7:30 am. Unless she was off one of the jobs that day. Then I saw her a little bit more. We struggled and scraped by but I was never really in need. As a kid, I had no idea I was poor. I had toys, food, clothes, and a home. My mom would take me and do stuff with me. We took family vacation trips yearly. We were happy. It was some of the best times in my life. I still thank God for being born when, how, and where I was.

Now look at another family. Let’s call the father Mr. Moneybags. Mr M. for short, was very successful and he got married. They have children born to them and the children grow up with everything. They have people that will dress them, feed them, and bathe them. They have unlimited resources and never even think about bills or the costs of anything.

How rich is your father? I’m not talking about your earthly father, or mother if she is filling in both roles. No, I'm talking about your HEAVENLY Father. God. You know, the one who just adopted you into His family? Look what Jesus says here.
And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11:11-13
You have been adopted into God’s Family. If you said that prayer, then you are now a child of God.
“and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.” Romans 8:17
Jesus calls God “Abba Father” in His prayer to Him. We are told we can now call God “Abba Father” because we are now His child. The Spirit of God lives in us so therefore it cries out “Abba Father” for us.
“And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” Mark 14:36
“For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” Romans 8:15

“And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” Galatians 4:6
What does “Abba Father” mean? Daddy. It literally means Daddy. The Alpha and Omega, the Creator of all that is, was, or ever will be, is now your Daddy. He wants you to see Him as your Daddy. Not some old bearded guy, sitting on a throne, waiting for you to mess up so He can throw you in hell. Look what Jesus says here.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” John 10:10
He tells Peter this.
“Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life.” Mark 10:29-30
If your friends and family decide that they no longer want anything to do with you because you are now “one of them Jesus freaks,” look around the room. Look around your church family. You have “brothers or sisters or mother or father or children” Look around and see. If something happens and you lose your job because of Jesus? God can and will get you a far better one. Lose your place to live? You got it. God will bless you with another. Jesus even told us that we should not worry about all these things.
And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” Matthew 6:7-8
Read that again if you need to. “Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” God is not surprised. He is not caught off guard. He is in complete control and He has the means to do whatever it is He needs to or wants to do, for YOU. You are now His child. Never forget, He has far more means than Mr. M.

Never forget who you are. You are no longer a creation of God, waddling around in God’s creation. You are not His child. He is your Daddy. And He wants to teach you, bless you, and love you, and He will meet your needs. It really is this simple. If you said the prayer and believed in your heart that Jesus rose from the dead, you are now His child.

Do you want even more of an assurance that God is willing to and will bless you? Then I want you to ask yourself this question, and be honest with yourself. What are you doing? That is what we will be talking about next time.

May the comfort of the Holy Ghost, and the peace of our Lord Jesus, be with you all. May God bless and be with you, always.

Brand new Email if you wish to contact me, it's truthbygod1@gmail.com

Until next time, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Right Up, Book of Mark

 Let's chat Hey folks, if you have been with us here at TAG, {The Truth According to God} for the past 50 weeks, congratulations, you j...