Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Five Most Common Regrets in Life, 4

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.


This is one of those regrets that you may not think of until the very end. It also may be one you regret today, everyday. Now, we are not talking about Acquaintances that we call friends. You know. Those at work you see everyday? You know all about them, they you, and you may even go to each others homes, out together, ETC. These are those that you swear to stay in touch with when one of you move on to another job, but never do?

No. We are going to talk about true Friends. Those that you meet in your life, who become closer than Family itself. Even in The Word, it talks about these types of Friends. King Solomon wrote "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." {Proverbs 18: 24}

King Solomon also went into great detail telling us to be careful on who we chose as Friends. Just some examples?

Proverbs 12:26 One who is righteous is a guide to his neighbor, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.

Proverbs 13:20 Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.

Proverbs 14:6-7 A scoffer seeks wisdom in vain, but knowledge is easy for a man of understanding. Leave the presence of a fool, for there you do not meet words of knowledge.

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Proverbs 22:24-25 Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare.

Think about this one "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." This is something that is rarely ever taught. But think about it. The first Murder ever committed was Brother killing Brother. Cain slew Able. Jacob tricked his blind and dying Father Isaac into giving him his Brother Esau's Blessings and Inheritance. Joseph's Brothers sold him into Slavery, and David's Brothers despised him.

It is a common phrase. I've said it myself. But it is totally not true. "Hey, they are family. I have to love them." This is a lie straight from the evil one himself. A truer statement is "You can't pick your Family, but you chose your Friends." This is why Solomon was so adamant about choosing your friends wisely. Paul wrote: "Do not be deceived: Bad company ruins good morals.” {1 Corinthians 15:33}

Friendship is a most important part of life itself. But just as good Friends can keep you in check, bad ones can lead you astray. This is why one of the most important steps for those recovering from addictions, is to find new Friends, and leave the old ones behind.

So if this is true, and it is, that Friendship is so important, then why do we lose track of some. Truth is, some of us, me included, have become so caught up in their own lives that they had let Friendships slip by over the years. We get so busy, and so focused on us, living our everyday at the speed of life, that we forget. Sometimes we think, "They will always be there. I have to deal with this right now. I'll try to get in touch with them tomorrow."

Let me share with you a story. I had a good Friend. He taught me a lot. I loved the times we spent together. I still use some of the Phrases I learned from him. Well, I moved to Florida. I called every now and then. He called. Then one day, it dawned on me I had not talked to him in a long time. I called. The person that answered the Phone told me that my Friend, Passed on a year prior. I had no idea. There will be no more tomorrows for me and him to share. My Friend was truly gone, and I didn't even know it.

Did you know that Friendship, and this concept, "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." is so important and true, that Jesus Himself called us His "Friends."

John 15:
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Think about that. The Lord of Lords, calls us His Friends. We already know that He did not just SAY "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." but actually DID it. Would I do the same for one of my earthly Brothers? I have Seven Brothers and Sisters. I met most of them one time. At my Father's Funeral. Do I love them? Nope. They are blood, right? They are my Father's Children, just like I am. But do I know where they are or what they are doing? Nope. Do I really care? Nope. But I know where my Friends are. I know what they are doing. Do I care? Of course I do.

James even tells us that we can become friends with God. He wrote:

James 4:
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." When you meet someone, you like something about them, you draw near them. You get to know them. You allow them to get to know you. You need to take the time to learn who God really is, and what He seeks in you. You need to get to know God. Allow Him to know the real you. {Hint, He already does} Just like with earthly friendships, do not attempt to portray yourself as something or someone you are not. Just be you. Everyone else is taken.

No matter how busy your life may become, always remember that Friendship is a gift from God. Our Friends are meant to be with us. They celebrate with us, morn with us, strengthen us, comfort us, and together, we can face anything. Do not become so busy that you forget this special Bond. Do not let lost Friendships be one of your regrets in Life.

Do you have the ultimate Friendship? Do you know Jesus as your Savior? Have you been adopted into the Family of God? If not, say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray..

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." {Romans 10:9} You need to find a Church that God leads you to, and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A new Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him." {Colossians 3:10}

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. {2 Corinthians 13}

The article by Bronnie Ware, first appeared on inspirationandchai.com via @ Real Farmacy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Genesis, Chapter 50

 Chapter 50 1 Then Joseph fell on his father's face and wept over him and kissed him. 2 And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians...