Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Traveling Through Your Day, At The Speed of Life.

Slow down, notice everything.

So many times, myself included, we travel through our everyday at the speed of life. We get up. We eat breakfast, or don't. We drink our coffee, watch the morning news, or whatever. We get dressed and head out the door. We, most of us, have a routine. We stop here or there. We get stuff, we head off to work, or school, or whatever. We complete our assigned tasks. We head home. We wonder what we will eat for dinner. We miss our loved ones. We think of Birthdays or Holidays coming up. We plan trips. We pay bills. For the most part, we live in our happy little bubbles.

What is the persons name that sold us the coffee? What is your Mail Person's name? Why is there that thing there? What is this over here? Did you see that person on the corner? What were they doing? Did you know that the person that just cut you off in traffic was on their way to the Hospital? Did you see the old person on the bench? What did you miss? You would be surprised.

I started, a long time ago now, to slow down. I try to notice everything. Whenever I am dealing with someone, I notice their face. I notice their body language. I ask them "How's your day going?" You would be surprised how this simple question throws so many people off. Especially since I actually wait for the answer. Example? A girl named Nancy says "That will be $9.62." Me "Hey Nancy. Hows your day going?" Nancy stops thinking whatever she was thinking, looks at the register, looks up at me, thinks about it, then notices that I do not have my card or money ready to hand her. "Uh, OK." Then if the body language tells me she is happy, I tell her something fun. If tired, I say something like, "It's almost over." Or sad, I might even ask what's wrong. Nancy doesn't know me, nor may she ever see me again, but for that moment, we connect. Someone really cares about her. She is no longer just a Cashier and I am no longer just a Customer. We become two people having an actual conversation that means something.

I'm serious. Try this. Do it for a week. Especially with the people you actually see everyday. Watch what happens. See what you learn. Why is that old person on the bench everyday. Go ask. Say "Hi." Did they just lose the love of their life for the past 40 years? Do they simply enjoy the fresh air? Feeding the Squirrels? What is their story?

Think about this. Here are some people that did just what you do everyday. They woke up, went to work.

Matthew 4:
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

18 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Now I want you to picture this. Here you are, working, doing whatever it is you do. Some strange person comes by and says, "Follow me, and I will make you Fishers of Men." Would you go? They could have been so focused on their Jobs. Feared losing their Jobs, and so concerned with getting the money to pay their Bills, they could have completely missed this strange guy standing there. But they didn't. They didn't question Him. They just followed.
20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.

21 And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them.
Again, here are people in the middle of their day. These are solving problems that have arose in their work place. Yet, they still noticed Jesus. They even left their own Father.
22 And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.

23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

24 And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy; and he healed them.

25 And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan.
Then, you got Matthew. Again, Matthew woke up this morning, ate, got dressed, headed off to work.

Matthew 9:
9 And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him.
Would you notice some strange man if He were to come up to you in the middle of your day and say "Follow me?" If you are not a Child of God, He actually is. Right now. Wherever you may be reading this, He, The same Jesus IS looking YOU in the eyes, saying, "Follow me." Will you follow?

For a Child of God, it is even more important that we slow down. That we notice everything.

Hebrews 13:
2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Let me share with you two personal stories that happened to me. The first was a long time ago, when I first got Saved. I bought this car from a co-worker. It was a little blue Chevy Chevette. It was soon after I bought it, It broke down. Timing Chain went on it. I "somehow" managed to coast through a busy intersection on a busy four lane highway, into a Gas Station Mini-mart. There I stood, angry, to say the least, with the hood up. Looking at the engine, which is all I could, and still can, do. A Mechanic I am not. When all of a sudden, up walks this man.

"Won't start huh?" Thinking to myself, "Seriously?" "Are you a Moron?" "I'm standing here, angry, with the Hood up." "Really?" But what I said was, "Yeah." He then asked me a question that threw me completely off. "So? You a Christian?" To my surprise, I did not hesitate. "Yes." He said "Then I have to help you. Don't I?" He then walked away.

I looked up to see him walk over to a truck pulling a shinny new, red, sports car. He backed it up to the side of the Gas Station Building, and dropped the new shinny red sports car off the trailer, then drove around to where I was. He put my piece of, uh, junk, Chevy Chevette on his trailer, looked at me, and said, "Where do ya want to go?" I had him take me to my Job where the guy was that sold me the car. He dropped it off, and then asked me "You going to be OK?" I said "Yes." I offered him the little money I had and he just waved it off and drove away. I notice he had out of state plates.

Standing there, trying to digest what just happened, I noticed that my new Bible was sitting in plain sight, on my seat in my car. Was this guy a Good Samaritan? Was he a fellow Christian? Was he an Angel, send to help me in my time of need? I have no idea. Never saw him again.

The second story I want to tell you just happen this year. Was Thanksgiving Eve. Wednesday. I went into a Mini-mart to, yes, I spend a lot of time in Mini-marts being on the road all the time, get a couple of things. I met this older, very well dressed Black Gentleman. Looked to be about Seventy. Dressed all in Black. First impression was that this guy was a Minister. He said "Hello my friend, how are you making out?" I said "Hi" back and asked him, say it with me, "Hows your day going?" "Oh getting along. Keep your head above the waters, all you can do. Right?" I said, half joking, "Yup. Problem is, those waters keep on rising." A spot opened up and I told him to go ahead. He said, "No, no, my friend, you go."

So I paid, wished him a Happy Thanksgiving, and went to leave. He said, "Now hold up there my friend." I said "Uh, OK." "Do you have kids?" I said, "Yes Sir. Two Boys, Joshua Seven and Elijah 22 Months." He said, "You know, I grew up without a Father. I can tell by looking at you, you love your boys and you are a good Dad." He takes out this envelope full of money, takes out a $20.00, and hands it to me. "You go buy them a treat. Happy Holidays to ya." And walks away.

Who was he? Why did he do this? What was his motivation? I wasn't wearing Jeans and a Tee Shirt. He saw how I was dressed. He saw me just buy a couple of things. Yet, he handed me a $20.00 bill to "Buy a treat for" my Boys. I did. They both got a little toy from a Store just a day or so ago.

Now if I blew this guy off, or worse yet, didn't even see him, this encounter would have never happened. They would never have the little toys they just got. I would not be sharing this story with you. It happened because I was open to it. Why? I have no idea. For all I know the guy is a Millionaire. Or? Perhaps the guy had his last amount of money in that envelope. I have no idea. But it was a great moment in time, that made the rest of my day.

Even we, the Children of God, have to be wise enough, to slow down. To notice everything around us. Look at what happened AFTER Jesus was Crucified. You doubt that the Disciples were average, everyday people? Look at this. 

John 20:
1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.

4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.

5 And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.

6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,

7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
What did he believe? He believed Mary. That they, the Jews or the Romans, came and took away Jesus's body. Not that He raised from the dead. But that the Body was stolen.
9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.

11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,

12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.

14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.
So Mary had this experience because she was there. Looking. The other Disciples did not. They looked, and saw nothing, and went their way.
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
This is where we get the phrase "Doubting Thomas." Still to this day, there are many "Doubting Thomas"s. They do not believe in God, because they have not seen Him with their own eyes. But Look what Jesus said here. "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."
30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Then in the next Chapter....

John 21:
1 After these things Jesus shewed himself again to the disciples at the sea of Tiberias; and on this wise shewed he himself.

2 There were together Simon Peter, and Thomas called Didymus, and Nathanael of Cana in Galilee, and the sons of Zebedee, and two other of his disciples.

3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.
Now think about this. These are the same that walked with Jesus. Saw Jesus do miracles. Peter's Shadow healed people and he walked on water WITH Jesus. Jesus just showed Himself to them AFTER death. What do they do? Well, Jesus is gone. That was interesting. Let's go fishing. Really???
4 But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus.

5 Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.

6 And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.

7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

8 And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes.

9 As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread.

10 Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.

11 Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.

12 Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord.

13 Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise.

14 This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead.
So even after all they went through, once it was over, so they thought, they went back to their routines. Their daily grind, if you will. They were so involved in their Fishing, they did not even notice that it was Jesus talking to them. If these can completely miss the fact Jesus was back again, after all they been through, how much more do you think you may miss?

Truth is, when you travel through your everyday, at the speed of life, you miss so very much. Slow down. Take your time. Notice everything. You will be surprised. You may find someone being a true blessing to you. You may find yourself being a true blessing to others. Every moment in time is appointed to pass us by once. Never again. Once gone, gone forever. You have to decide if you want these moments to pass you by, or if you want to simple go through them. See what's there. Experience the moment. Truly live life. In all it's aspects. Especially if God is with you.

Do you know Jesus as your Savior? Have you been adopted into the Family of God? Is He able to work in your life? If not, say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray..

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." {Romans 10:9} You need to find a Church that God leads you to, and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A new Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him." {Colossians 3:10}

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

Until next time, slow down, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Genesis, Chapter 50

 Chapter 50 1 Then Joseph fell on his father's face and wept over him and kissed him. 2 And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians...