Sunday, March 26, 2023

Jesus Vs Religion, Christianity

 Is Christianity enough? 


Most Christians seem to think of themselves as good people. They say things like “I care about the environment.” “I care about the poor.” “I care about those that are sick.” ”I love everyone. I accept all and I do not believe we should judge anyone. I do not think being gay is a sin.” “I know we as a church need to keep these people in our prayers and we need to show people how much we care by posting memes and sharing thoughtful posts on social media.”
"If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." James 2:15-17
What good does it truly do, to care? Seriously. Does it make you feel good that you have identified a problem and you show people how much you care by what? Sharing your feelings? What have you done about it? Look at this. This is from Jesus to you. Yes. You.
All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
This is basic Christianity 101. Look at all the times Jesus said "Follow me." What did they do? They left everything and followed Him. If you say you are a Christion or a follower of Christ, what are you actually doing? Worse yet, are you doing things that are actually opposed to and the opposite of what God says? To follow means to take action. To move. To do what you see Jesus doing. At the fundamental level, you should be sharing the "Good News." The Gospel. The truth.

Does this mean you go to work all week and then Sunday morning comes and you try to wake up, put on your best clothes and head off to Church? You know, if you are not too tired? Following the service, you feel pretty good and go home to watch the game and go back to work on Monday? Is this what being a true follower of Christ is?

How do I know I'm in the right Church?

How do I know that the Child of God talking to me, IS a Child of God?

How do I know I AM a Child of God?

The answer is the same for all versions of this question. It is an answer that Jesus Himself gave us. It is a pretty simple one, and easy to understand.
"You will know them by their fruits."
Pretty easy concept, is it not? He was talking about false prophets. He was talking about false religions. He even told us that these fakers would rise. He said this.
"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheeps clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits, you will know them." Matthew 7:15-20
First, finding a true church of God. Is there a draw to it? A nudge, or pull of the spirit? Second, Pray about it. Ask God if this is the church you should be a part of. Third, and the most obvious, what does the church do? Are they feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and setting captives free? Are they accepting people living in sin and not trying to show them the error of their way and that there is a better way? What fruit do they produce? Are the people attending the church "active members?" What fruit do they produce, or are they just there for the show?

If you want to be honest with yourself, look in the mirror, and ask yourself the same question. What fruit are you producing? I'm not trying to pick on anyone or call anyone out. Something you should do from time to time. Why? Because you will answer for it in time. Look what Jesus tells us will take place when you stand before Him.
"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Matthew 25:31-46
We see that even Jesus Himself tells us, that compassion is not enough. We must actually do something. Now, do not misunderstand the point here. Yes. It IS by faith that you are saved. Not of works. However, what good is your faith without works once you are saved? That is the point. What good does it for a little girl standing naked and hungry at your door, for you to have all the compassion in the world and yet not give her some clothes and food? It means NOTHING. Your compassion without work means NOTHING. When Jesus made this statement, He was talking about people like us. God does not seek an audience, but workers.
"And he said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." Luke 10:2
Do not put it off either. If you see a need, fill it. Today. At this very moment. We do not even know if we will be here tomorrow. James warns us of this too.
"Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit” yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life like? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:13-15
True religion demands action. Not just an audience. Not just compassion. Yes, it accepts sinners for we are all sinners. However, do you think it would be ok to accept someone who is out there killing people and say “It’s ok, just be you?” Or someone who constantly bares false witness and stirs everyone up around them and we say, “It’s ok, just be you?” Then why is it ok if we accept those living a lifestyle who does not see it as sin nor will they even think about changing, and say “It’s ok, just be you?” Especially knowing that they will end up in hell following their death?

Jesus did not do this. He said to those He forgave Go and sin no more." Two examples we can clearly see in the word? John 5:14, and John 8:11. Look at this warning in Paul's letter to the Hebrews.
“For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.” Hebrews 10:26-27
Paul even told us that this time was coming. He told us plainly.
“For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4
We have churches today doing this. Prosperity gospel. Homosexuality acceptance and even marriage. Other gods or even you can be gods. No god at all. All the good stuff because “There is no hell.” So on.

Truth is, religion is not salvation, and religion minus Jesus and the true Word of God is false and worthless. I can hear some of you that may be getting offended by this, "I do not have to listen to you." “I have read the Bible, and I have read other books. I do not think, even if you read the bible, you need to accept Jesus. There are many ways to heaven.” Or some of you will say, “You are arguing your point using the bible. But that nullifies your argument because the Bible is filled with contradictions and falsehoods.” Or even this said to me recently. “Why should I care what a god I do not believe in says?” More on all that next time. Without Jesus, none of this matters anyway.

If you believe that Jesus, not just Christianity, but Jesus is needed in your life, then say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I believed He rose from the dead. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead, You shall be saved." Romans 10:9. You need to find a Church that God leads you to and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A New Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."Colossians 3:10

May the comfort of the Holy Ghost, and the peace of our Lord Jesus, be with you all. May God bless and be with you, always.

Until next time, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...