Sunday, September 12, 2021

Responding to People, Love

 "Love your neighbor as yourself." 




Welcome, today. Today I am going to be speaking directly to children of God, AKA "Christians." "Saved Peoples." People that have heard the Gospel and have accepted Jesus's sacrifice. People that have been saved from death itself and adopted into the family of God.

Now if that is not you, today, and the next few times we get together, may seem a little strange. Maybe extreme? Maybe even a bit offensive. Maybe you will not understand it completely, because you are without the most important ingredient to understanding it. The Spirit of the Living God. But it is my hope, that even if this describes you, that you will make that choice and become a new creature. A new child of God.

How did Jesus operate here on earth? He loved first. Forgave second. Saved third. I will say that again. He loved first. Forgave second. Saved third. Most of you know John 3:16-18
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."
We have come to learn this aspect of Jesus's love for us.
"But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
"God so loved the world" He laid down His Godhood and came to earth as one of us, and He loved us so, that He allowed us, His own creation, to strip Him, beat Him, humiliate Him, and hang Him from a cross, while we were sinners in the middle of our sin.

It would be like me, creating an Ant Farm in my backyard. They kept dying and being horrible little Ants and they would attack and torment anyone I sent into my backyard. So I come up with a plan. I will let them kill ME and in turn, I will not wipe them all out. So I go out back, strip my clothes off, and lay down and allow them to kill me. Knowing at any time I could simply swipe a hand or foot and wipe them all out. Remember, we did not kill Jesus.
"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:11
And here?
"For this reason, the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have the authority to lay it down, and I have the authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father."John 10:17-18
Jesus could have stopped it at any time. Remember what He said to Peter when they came to arrest Jesus in the garden? 
"Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?” Matthew 26:53-54
Love is the most powerful force in the universe. Love created all things. Love saved all this from utter and total destruction. We are told that we need to have this same love as Jesus had for us.
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another." John 13:34
And in 1 John 3:16, we read this.
"By this, we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers."
What does this mean? Are we being told to lay down our lives for someone we claim to love? Yes. If the situation arises and I have to decide to give my life to save my child? Wife? Family member? YES, I will do that. Why? Because I DO love them.

However, let's start by loving people in general. Do you know how easy it is to take an average everyday situation and turn it into a moment? Seriously. We go through our daily lives on autopilot more than you may think. You have a routine. Nothing wrong with routines. Well, not completely. But if you are not careful, you can get lost in that routine.

They are not props. You wake up. Get dressed and leave your house. Maybe you walk by the park and see an old person sitting there. You keep going. That person is not a prop. You go on but they are there because they are homeless, or just lost the love of their life. Perhaps they find comfort in feeding the pigeons or they are reflecting on their life. Maybe they needed help? You go into the coffee shop and a girl takes your order for a Grande, Carmel, spinning Mocha Frap. AKA overpriced coffee. You give her your ten bucks and move on. She is not a prop. If you glanced at her name tag, her name is Susie. She is a single Mom working two jobs to try to support herself and her two children.

You arrive at work and you do the best you can, to get ahead, to get that bonus, whatever. Billy just got laid off. WOW! There is an opportunity to get his job. Billy is not a prop. He just lost his job of 20 years, and now has no idea how he is going to support himself and his family. Not too many places like to hire older folks. He is scared. You move on.

You finish your day and you head home. You stop at the grocery and see a lady sitting in the front holding a sign. "Hungry. Anything will help." Smile and walk by. You think to yourself, maybe on the way out. She is not a prop. She is an Angel waiting to see how you would respond.

Wait!?! What? An Angel? Now that is a bit too far. Really?
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2
Think of all the things that could have been different in this one day. Talk to the old person on the bench. Show them love, kindness, and concern. Listen to their story if they want to share. You have no idea how much of a difference you could make in that person's life. Perhaps they need to hear the gospel for today may be their last on this earth. Look at the nametag. Use her name. "How is your day going Susie?" Watch her body language. Listen to what she tells you. Show her love, kindness, and concern. Maybe instead of buying that $10.00 cup of coffee, maybe give it to her. Maybe give her a bigger tip? Maybe just a smile and a hug? You become one half of a moment and not just a number. Billy? Have compassion for him. Show him love, kindness, and concern. Tell him you will help him in the future as a reference or just share Romans 8:28, or Matthew 6:31-34. The Lady outside the Grocery? Talk to her. Show her love, kindness, and concern. You do not have cash? Ask if you can buy something for her while you are there. Share the Gospel? Give her a hug?

We are surrounded by people on a daily basis. Some we know, some we do not. Some we like? Some we do not. Some that like us. Some that do not. In all these situations, all these people, are opportunities to show love. We should be responding to people the same way Jesus responded to people. Love. Here is a footnote for ya. A lot of the time? It will cost you nothing but a little bit of your time. Oh, you do not have time? How much time do you waste on TV? Hobbies? Doing things, uh, less beneficial? You have more time than you think. You may have to work on it. But you really do have more time than you think.

You are a child of God. Peter tells us that we need to always be ready to share the Truth.
"but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect," 1 Peter 3:15
How should we respond to people? Love. What about those that use us? Those that abuse us? What about those that treat us horribly? That is what we will be talking about next time. The short answer is Love. Forgiveness? Yes. This is what we are called to do.

Now if I was not talking directly to you. Now is the time to correct that. Now is the time. Today is the day. I have your adoption papers right here {Holding up the Bible} Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I believed He rose from the dead. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead, you shall be saved." Romans 10:9. You need to find a Church that God leads you to and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A New Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."Colossians 3:10

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. 2 Corinthians 13

Until next time, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...