Sunday, July 18, 2021

Unity in the Body of Christ, Differences not Divisions

Things to not separate over 


Last time we talked about the fact we are one church. The Word declares this.
"I, therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call. One Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." Ephesians 4:1-6
Now having said this, and all we talked about last time, we must also recognize that there are some differences. There are differences in worship styles. Music styles. Even Preaching styles. The Baptist may look totally different than the Pentecostals.

Here is a true story on my journey. I was approached by two men. Both claiming to be Christian. Both claimed they wanted to help me. And they did. Please do not misunderstand. They did both mean well. They did both want to see me saved. However? They both came to verbal blows on certain subjects.

"You must be baptized to be saved." "No. Baptism is nothing more than an outward public display of your faith." You must speak in tongues." "Speaking in tongues just mean talking in various languages." Oh, they could both pull out the Bible and show me what they claimed supported their side. Sometimes it got nearly physical when these two got together. So I agreed to go to both their churches.

First up? James. I was a guest of his at one of his services. Can you say "Blues Brothers"? I'm not kidding. We got there at 8 am and had donuts and coffee. Then it began with worship. Nothing wrong with that. Then people started dancing and shouting. The Pastor came up and slapped me in the forehead. Now I saw him do this to others and they fell down and started "chanting" or something. {I did not understand the tongue thing at the time.}When he did it to me, nothing happened. I was waiting to feel something. I got nothing. This went on until I had to leave like 1 pm to get ready for work.

Next up was Dwight. After a couple of weeks, I attended his service. It was as I remembered as a child. They sang from a hymnal. They stood up and sat down. The Pastor preached the Word. We went home. It was about an hour. All good.

I stayed at Dwight's which became my, church. I was baptized there. Nothing mystical or magical happened. I grew in the Word. Then came a turning point. I'm trying to keep this as brief as possible. But I experienced a miracle and the Pastor had a difficult time talking with me about gifts and such. So I ended up moving on. I started a quest to find the truth. How can all these different "churches" be so different, if all are supposed to stand for the same thing?

Making a long story a little less long, I started looking into all religions. I was not looked kindly on in a Catholic Church when I started asking why they did things that were clearly against the Bible. I mean, they were doing some things that the Bible straight up says not to do. I was told to leave a Synagogue because I was not born Jewish and I was "unclean." I learned about Buddha, Eastern Mythicism, and even learned that Jediism is an actual religion. This went on for a while and then I got this one day in my Spirit.

"Are you done?" I remember what I said out loud. Glad I was alone at the time. It went something like this. "Am I done? Yeah. I'm done. I'm even more confused now than when I started." Then I got this. "Good." "Wait? Good?" "Yes Good." "How is this good?" "You want to know the truth? Stop asking the creation, and start asking the Creator." So I did. One of the first things I learned was this.
"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gift of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kind of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills."
I learned that we are one body.
"For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together." 1 Corinthians 12:4-26

Then I learned this in Romans.
"For by the grace given to me, I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness." Romans 12:3-8
So how can I tell if the church I am interested in, is a true church? First, they must have Jesus at the center. Simply put, without Jesus, there is no God. You cannot get to the Father without going through Jesus. Second, look what Jesus told us here in Matthew 7:15-20
"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits."
What are they actually doing? Is the church growing? Are they serving the community? Are they feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, setting the captives free? What are they actually doing?

The truth is some people like dancing. Some people like the more, uh, spiritual sort of faith. Some people are more comfortable giving their tithes and going home. Was everyone in the Bible Black? Was everyone White? Is it ok for women to teach men? Is it not? Is speaking in tongues a heavenly language or just language? The Rapture? Is it pre, mid, or post Tribulation? Should you eat meat on Friday? Abstain from all alcohol? ETC.

These things can become a point of debate, but they should never become a point of separation.
"And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful." Colossians 3:15
Are there differences in worship, styles, and even maybe some minor points in the Word? Yes. Can some heal you with a slap on the head? I believe it is possible. Can I? Nope. Can some see visions? Yes. Can some interpret the visions? Yes. Are some gifted with the ability to serve in this capacity or another? Of course. Not all can deal with children. Some should only deal with children. ETC. But we are, or at least we should be, we are all serving one God. There is only one Truth, Way, and Life. His name is Jesus.

Are there some things that we SHOULD divide over? Absolutely. More on that next time. Pretty simple but can be hard for some to accept. Do you know Jesus as your Savior? Have you been adopted into the Family of God? If not, say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I believed He raised from the dead. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"


That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead, you shall be saved." Romans 10:9.
You need to find a Church that God leads you to and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A New Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."Colossians 3:10

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. 2 Corinthians 13


Until next time, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...