Sunday, November 19, 2023

A Story to Tell 2

 I have lived stories to tell.

So have you if you are a child of God, for any amount of time, no matter how long. You have lived stories to tell. Who were you before? What were you doing when Jesus met you.? You have witnessed how God is love. You have witnessed how God is good. You have witnessed how God is constant, how God saves.

Let’s look at another real person who really lived and really witnessed God. You probably know him, but do you REALLY know him? I had no idea until he shared it with me. With all of us. His name was Saul. We see him first at the murder of one of the first “Christians” Stephen. 

Stephen was full of grace and power and was doing great wonders and signs among the people. The Word of God tells us that he had a face that was like the face of an angel. As he taught and did all these great wonders and signs among the people, as with the disciples and as with Jesus Himself, some of the religious folks of the day became offended. As with Jesus, they paid people to lie about Stephen.
“Then some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), and of the Cyrenians, and of the Alexandrians, and of those from Cilicia and Asia, rose up and disputed with Stephen. But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking. Then they secretly instigated men who said, "We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and God." And they stirred up the people and the elders and the scribes, and they came upon him and seized him and brought him before the council, and they set up false witnesses who said, "This man never ceases to speak words against this holy place and the law, for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses delivered to us." Act 6:9-14
Now when they did this, Stephen gave a long speech proving to them that he was a Jew and that he was full of the knowledge of the Holy Scriptures from Abraham forward, he talked about how God called the Jews His chosen and all He did for them, yet, they fell into sin. This is where we pick up.
“Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him. But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. And he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." But they cried out with a loud voice and stopped their ears and rushed together at him. Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul.”
This is the first time we see Saul.
“And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." And when he had said this, he fell asleep” Act 7:54-60
Now from this time, Saul set out, with full written permission, to destroy God’s new chosen people, the Christians, or the followers of this new “way.” Jesus followers. New children of God. He would arrest them. Imprison them. Kill them even. Until one day, one faithful day, Jesus Himself, appeared to him on the road to Damascus. Yes, it really was Jesus. No, it was not an Angel, nor a prophet. It was Jesus, Himself. Now remember this was after the Crucifixion, and many still thought that Jesus was dead.
“But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. As he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him. And falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" And he said, "Who are you, Lord?" And he said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do." Act 9:1-6
Now notice when Jesus spoke to him, Saul knew at that moment, that all he heard about Jesus was true. He even outright asked Him, “Who are you, Lord?” He knew. Jesus answered him. There was no doubt in Saul. He knew Jesus was indeed all the things he heard about Him and that, since He was talking to him, he must not be dead. Right?

It is another sermon altogether but we read how Saul was blind and yet healed by Ananias. And Saul went on to preach the Gospel and proclaim Jesus. He went through a lot. Trust me, most people have no idea. Look how he tells his story here.
“For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that I preached is not man's gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.”
Notice he says Jesus taught me. Not the disciples, and not a man, but Jesus himself.
“For you have heard of my former life in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it. And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers. But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and remained with him for fifteen days. But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord's brother. (In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!)"
Now notice this. Three years. He is saying that he spent three years with and being taught by Jesus Himself. Can you imagine that?
“Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. And I was still unknown in person to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. They only were hearing it being said, "He who used to persecute us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." And they glorified God because of me.” Gal 1:11-24
Saul who is now known as Paul, a new creature in Christ, tells us that it does not matter what you did in your past. It does not matter who you used to be. Look at my story and see what God did for me. He can and will change your heart, and He can and will, save you.

Saul was full of hate, look what it said here. “But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord” However, Jesus, went right to where he was. Think about that. Jesus goes to the sinner. We do not find Jesus. We would have no idea where to even look. Jesus finds us. He “called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” 1 Peter 2:9. God calls you “out of the world” John 15:19. Jesus presents Himself to you and it then becomes your choice to accept and follow Him or not.

Saul accepted Him. Followed Him. Learn from Him directly. God changed Saul's heart of hate and stone to a warm loving heart full of love and compassion for God’s chosen people. If God can do that for Saul. Change him into Paul who wrote a lot of the New Testament that we read today, and then He can do it for you. More on Paul’s story next time.

Here is something to always remember and never forget or take lightly. This {Holding up the Bile} is God’s living Word. When you read about Paul, Adam and Eve, Abraham, Moses, King David, Mary, and anyone else, you are learning about REAL PEOPLE who REALLY lived and did the things you read. This {Holding up the Bible} is REAL. Saul really hunted down and dragged men women and children out of their homes, in some cases took them to be thrown into prison, and in some cases killed them. Jesus REALLY appeared to Him “from the dead” if you will, and really did convert him into Paul. What have you done in your life that is worthy to compare to murdering innocent people? If God can save Saul and turn him to Himself, then He can and will forgive you, save you, and turn you into a new creature as well.

I know I feel unworthy. I’m sure most of you feel unworthy. But that is actually the point. We are. There is nothing we can do to become good. There is nothing we can do to earn our way into heaven. The only way, truth, life, door, gate, entryway, or whatever you call it, is Jesus Christ. If you accept Him, and His sacrifice, then and only then, will God send the Spirit of Adoption, the Holy Spirit, into your life, and then, and only then, do you become a child of God.

If you have not already done so, you need to ask Jesus into your life, then say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I believed He rose from the dead. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead, You shall be saved." Romans 10:9.
You need to find a Church that God leads you to and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A New Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."Colossians 3:10

The email, if you wish to contact me, is truthbygod1@gmail.com

May the comfort of the Holy Ghost, and the peace of our Lord Jesus, be with you all. May God bless and be with you, always.

Until next time, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...