Sunday, January 1, 2023

Introduction to the Ten Commandments, 2023

  Coming up here at T.A.G.



Hey folks,

Happy New year to ya. I hope you all had a good and safe celebration of the end of 2022 and the beginning of this new year. New beginning. Starting off with a clean slate. A chance to begin anew. A time when we make new year's resolutions. Promises to improve our lives and to make things better for ourselves and our families.

You are going to hear all kinds of things. You may even say some of them yourself. "I promise to lose weight." "Eat less, or healthier." "I promise to quit smoking, drinking, and swearing." Yes, I know there is a joke there somewhere. "Work less?" "Spend more time with the family?" "Go to church more?" "Be a better person?" ETC.

Well, why not start the year, learning what the Law of God really is. Seriously. Do you know the forgotten Laws of God? Does your church teach them? I'm not talking about knowing where to find them. I'm not talking about how to say them in order. Do you actually know them? Do you REALLY know what they are? Do you, or our nation, violate them daily? Is it really that big a deal to know them, and to follow them?
"My son, keep my words and treasure up my commandments with you; keep my commandments and live; keep my teaching as the apple of your eye; bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.Proverbs 7:1-3
Does that sound like just knowing how to say them in order? What about this?
"My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart.Proverbs 3:1-3
Teaching our children the list, The Ten Commandments, in Sunday school, is not a bad thing. Understanding that Commandment 6 says Thou shall not kill, is a good thing. Knowing that Commandment 5 is the first with promise, is a good thing. However,,,
"“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.Deuteronomy 6:4-9
Understanding the Ten Commandments is more than just counting. 1,2,3,4,5,,6,7,8,9,10. " For the length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee." Did you know that? God even gives us a promise. Follow My Law, and live.

It's not just memorizing them. It's not just doing one study on them. God tells us this.
Proverbs 6:20-23
"My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching. Bind them on your heart always; tie them around your neck. When you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk with you. For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life, "
The Ten Commandments were not given to man to make man's life more difficult. To refrain man from the things he loves.
"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:3
When asked what we must do to be saved, what did Jesus tell us?
"And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”Matthew 19:16-21
Jesus put the Law of God, ahead of even Himself. He told us plainly.
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.Matthew 5:17-20
If you love Jesus, you must follow the Ten Commandments.
"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever;" John 14:15-16
The Ten Commandments were given to man to make man's life easier. To keep him from the snares of the devil. Understanding, not only what they are, but what they mean, is crucial to every child of God's growth and well-being. If we keep them?
" If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.John 15:10
You see how important it is to not only know what they are but to KNOW what they are. It is really hard to follow something if you have no idea what it is you are supposed to follow. Therefore, for the next few times we get together, we will go into an in-depth study of these, the forgotten Laws of God, the Ten Commandments.

I remember a long time ago when I was first saved and one came to me asking me about the Ten Commandments. I remember thinking "Everyone knows them." Well, it was at that moment that I learned, not everyone does. To the lost, the simple things of God, are not so simple. To the religious, the simple things of God, are not always so simple. To the child of God, sometimes it is in that simplicity, that we get lost.

Won't you join us, as we get back to the basics? Like anything else, if you do not have a solid foundation, you can, and will, be moved. The Law of God is alive and well. The Law of God is to not only be learned but followed. It has not changed. It will not be done away with. Whatever, and however, man, attempts to discard it, does not mean it is not still there, and that God will not hold you blameless for ignoring it.

May the comfort of the Holy Ghost, and the peace of our Lord Jesus, be with you all. May God bless and be with you, always.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...