Sunday, August 29, 2021

People are Watching, So is God

  Act as if they are not


They really are. Sometimes, we see it. Sometimes we feel it. Sometimes, we have no clue. However, people are always watching you. Sometimes, they like what they see. Sometimes, they are simply curious. Sometimes, they are looking to find fault. Whatever the reason, make no mistake about it, people ARE watching.

Last time we talked about how God wants us to be the spotlight. To be the light of the world. To shine brightly. What He does NOT want us to do, is to dance in the spotlight for all to see. Wait. What does that mean? How can we be the spotlight, and not be seen in the spotlight?
"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:1-4
This is why I never fill out that tax form at the end of the year. I do not really want a man-made record of my giving. I give what I can, sometimes more than I can if I feel lead to do so. Let's be honest, sometimes I fall short on this as well. However, I do not want mankind saying how great a person I am because I gave out of my abundance to someone who has nothing. I want to be blessed by God because I was obedient to Him. "so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Who would you rather be rewarded by? Mankind, or God?

Jesus goes on to tell us this.
"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door, and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:5-6
Why do this? Why should we actually keep our prayers secret? "And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." This is right before He gave us the "Our Father Prayer." Which of course we messed up too. Jesus tells us.
And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." Matthew6:7-8
The KJ version says it this way.
"But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."
Vain repetitions, empty phrases. I have been in churches that you go in, sit, stand, sit, stand, sit, and repeat the same old "prayer" as everyone else does. 

"Welcome today, come in. Good to see ya."
Congregation arrives.
"Please stand"
Congregation stands.
"Goodwill to you, goodwill to me, goodwill to all, peace on earth. Amen." "God be with you."
Congregation "Also with you."
"Please be seated."
"Today I want to talk about the Church's teachings on Women wearing Pants. In 1860, our great leader, Father Notta Real Person, said Women need to honor their Husbands and God. They shall wear dresses and cover their heads. Men should wear trousers, and honor their Wives. So saith the Lord."
"Please Stand"
Congregation Stands.
"Goodwill to you, goodwill to me, goodwill to all, peace on earth. Amen." "God be with you."
Congregation "Also with you."
Congregation sits.
"I understand that we have gotten away from these traditional teachings of Father Person, and society may see things differently. But we know that God doesn't care about society. If you follow what the Church says on this manor, you will be just fine. You are all absolved of your Sins. May you have a great week."
Congregation stands.
"Goodwill to you, goodwill to me, goodwill to all, peace on earth. Amen." "God be with you."
Congregation "Also with you."
Congregation leaves, shaking hands on the way out.

Back to Football, BBQs, Shopping, life in general...Until next week. Is this really Church? Are you really praying for anything? Did you learn God's purpose and plan for your local church and or your own life? Was the hungry fed? The lost found? What fruit did that produce? What did you actually do?

Some people do this and they feel good. "I said my prayers. I went to church. I checked my boxes. I'm good till next week." Monday comes around and they are back to cussing out their coworkers, gossiping, backstabbing, cussing out those other drivers in traffic. Drinking, smoking, and watching things that may not be, uh, beneficial to their spiritual growth.

Gotta work. Yeah, I understand that. That is not what I am saying. Although, there is far more to life than working 8 to 10 hours a day, to make other people money and pay bills. Jesus tells us this.
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
If you are blessed enough to have a job, what are you doing with the money you are being blessed with? Are you just struggling to pay bills or are you blessing others? Are you tithing? Where is your treasure? Where is your heart? That really is a good measuring stick for you. What are you spending most of your money on?

God has one desire as to how we look to others. He wants us to be the light. Oh, you may look great to others. "Look at this guy. He goes to church every time the door is open. He gives hundreds of dollars to the poor. Look at this guy."
"But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7
You cannot fool God. You cannot play a role forever. People may like what they see. They may even cheer you on as you dance in the spotlight for all to see. But in reality, are you actually BEING the spotlight? Are you BEING a child of God? Are you just dancing? Take some time and really think about it. Examine yourself. What fruit are you producing? How are you doing in sharing the Gospel? What have you done for God lately? If you think perhaps, you have been liking the spotlight more so than being that very light? May I suggest it is time to refocus. People ARE watching. So is God.

Do you know Jesus as your Savior? Have you been adopted into the Family of God? If not, say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I believed He rose from the dead. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead, you shall be saved." Romans 10:9. You need to find a Church that God leads you to and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A New Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."Colossians 3:10

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. 2 Corinthians 13

Until next time, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...