Sunday, June 6, 2021

You May Never Know, Influencing Others

 Who you are influencing. 


People ARE always watching. I want to share another true story. This is like three personal stories in like two weeks. If you have been here for any amount of time, you know I almost never do anything like this. I rarely talk about myself in the positive or the negative, because it is not about me. Yet, the past two weeks have brought these stories to mind. This one in particular.

I went online around 1991. Yeah I know, the 1900's. Can you believe it? I started out on discussion boards and comment sections of local and international newspaper sites. I was always faith-based and would debate, aka argue, with anyone for just about any reason. I would do so with love and would laden my arguments with the Word of God.

As time went on, the topics in the news started to lean more so toward politics, than anything else, therefore my arguments became increasingly political and this lead me into politics in general. I created a blog and was vested daily in political conversations and talking about top news stories. Think Talk Radio in Blog form. During this time, I went through a major life change and left New York and moved to Florida. Before I really thought about it, I all but walked away from God. No Church. No reading the Bible. I merely prayed once a day, if I remembered to do so.

One fateful day, a fellow poster and commentator named Sean, asked me, "Where is the faith-based Peter?" Wait. What? This offended me to tell you the truth. I'm me. I've always been me. Who in the, does he think he is? "Where is the faith-based Peter?" Seriously? The sad truth? He was right. See, in my own mind, I never changed. But I did. Majorly. Drastically. So much so that people noticed.

I was thinking about this for a while. The more I spend time with my family, and the more time I spend in the Word, and with God, the more I grow in faith. The less I grew in the desire to spend time talking about politics. I was praying about this and a question popped into my Spirit. "What is more important? Sharing the Truth according to God, sharing the Word. Explaining His Will and Way for Salvation? Leading someone to Salvation? Or, picking out "the Idiot of the Week?"" Then this. "The World has Rush, Sean, Mark, Glenn, Joyce, and many others." Then this passage came to mind. Luke 10:2
"And he said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."
Today, this day, someone will die. Someone will wake up, they will have coffee. Eat. Go off to work. They will not make it. Another will dress their child, and see them off to school, and that child will never return home. Someone will not even wake up. Just because the World doesn't end today, doesn't mean that today, is the last day of life for many. Think about 9-11. 3000 Americans and others, got up, did whatever they did every other day, kissed loved ones, went to work. Shortly after they got there, they were killed.

What is more important? Talking about the "Idiot of the Week," or picking out someone that has displayed logic? Or sharing the Truth according to God. Showing them The Way. Leading them to the simplicity of Salvation. Seriously? Pretty much a no-brainer. Don't ya think?

So I made this decision and Sean posted something to the effect of "Thank God. You have no idea how many people you have helped." He was right about that too. I do truly have no idea. I was not even really aware I was helping anyone. I was just talking. But people were listening. People were watching. Here is another story. The story of one man, attending one tent meeting.

This man grew up during the Great Depression on a dairy farm near Charlotte, North Carolina. As a teenager, he grudgingly attended church with his family, and found his family’s Bible-reading, praying, and psalm-singing left him feeling restless and resentful.

In May of 1934, Christian businessmen in Charlotte, North Carolina, held an all-day prayer meeting on his father’s pasture. This man’s father, William Franklin Graham, Sr., recalled one of the men’s prayers that day: “That out of Charlotte the Lord would raise up someone to preach the Gospel to the ends of the earth.”

“At that time, in 1934, it certainly wasn’t obvious that, that someone, might be me.” Billy Graham wrote.

“I did not want anything to do with an evangelist—particularly with such a colorful character as Dr. Ham,” Billy Graham said. “I told my parents that I would not go to hear him. Apparently, the evangelist knew what he was talking about,” Billy Graham wrote. “He claimed to have affidavits from certain students that a house across the street from the school, supposedly offering the boys and girls lunch during noon recess, actually gave them some additional pleasures.”

Rumors flew that angry students planned to march on the tabernacle and demonstrate right in front of the platform. And that maybe they would even injure Dr. Ham. Just As I recount the moment: “That stirred up my curiosity,” Billy Graham recalled, “and I wanted to go just to see what would happen. But how could I save face after holding out for nearly a month?”

“Why don’t you come out and hear our fighting preacher?” a friend suggested. “Is he a fighter?” I asked. That put a little different slant on things. I like a fighter.”

His friend offered another incentive, letting Billy Graham drive his old vegetable truck into town for the meeting. Billy Graham drove the truck, “loaded with as many folks, white and black, as [his friend] could get to go along.”

Dr. Ham began preaching, loudly, Billy Graham recalled. Recounting the night many years later, he said, “I have no recollection of what he preached about, but I was spellbound. In some indefinable way, he was getting through to me. I was hearing another voice … the voice of the Holy Spirit.”

Billy Graham was that one man, at that tent meeting, and look what history tells us from that day on. Over the course of 60 years, he preached to a stunning 210 million people around the globe and held an impressive 417 crusades. Did Dr. Ham know that the one reluctant attendee would end up leading countless people to Jesus? I doubt it.

This is why it is so important to simply be the child of God you are. We read this in 1 Peter 2:12
"Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation."
A little bit later, Peter writes this in 1 Peter 3:16
"Having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame."
1 Timothy 4:12
reads like this.
"Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity."
We, if you are young or old, or somewhere in between, must live how God asks us to live. If people are watching us, and make no mistake about it, they are, then do they actually see a difference in us and the rest of the world? As my Pastor said many times, "we may be the only Jesus that some people will ever see. What are they seeing?"

We must be careful. The Word warns us of this.
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2
People are watching. You ARE influencing more people than you know. This is why Jesus Himself tells us this as recorded in Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
Chances are, you will never see the impact you have here on this earth. You tell John Doe. Jane Doe. They go and have a life-changing God experience. They move away to another country and start a ministry, or perhaps even change that country. They will meet people you never will. They will do things that you never will. All you did was plant the seed. Job well done. Now let God. You have no idea. You may never know who, or how many people you are influencing. Just because you do not know, does not mean there are not many people watching. Always think of yourself as on stage or as if people are always watching. They are. What are they watching you do? If you are the only Jesus some people meet?

Do you know Jesus as your Savior? Have you been adopted into the Family of God? If not, say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I believed He raised from the dead. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead, you shall be saved." Romans 10:9. You need to find a Church that God leads you to and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A New Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."Colossians 3:10

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. 2 Corinthians 13


Until next time, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...