Sunday, May 30, 2021

You May Never Know, Who You Are Dealing With

  Who you are dealing with. 


Welcome back. We are currently talking about the concept "You may never know." We talked last time about how we may never know on this earth, why things happen the way they do. As we talked about last time, this could be a whole series in and of itself, and very well may be, the topic today is the same. 

We could spend weeks diving into this story that Jesus told us in Luke 10:30-37

A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
Now, what is Jesus trying to teach here? Love? Kindness? Compassion? Grace? Yes. Love your neighbor as yourself? Yes. Show God's love through your actions more than your words? Yes. However, there is another aspect of this. Who is the naked half-dead man?

The Priest doesn't know. He crossed to the other side. The Levite, or one of those religious folks that work in the temple, did the same. He did not know who the man was. Only the good Samaritan stopped to help. Did he ever learn who the man was? Jesus did not tell us. But nonetheless, he took care of him and gave the innkeeper two day's wages, roughly $150.00 bucks in today's value. Rooms did not cost a hundred dollars a night back then either.

Remember one of the scariest passages, at least for me, in the Bible? Jesus talking about the end time and people coming from all around thinking they would enter into heaven, and Jesus separates them and says this?
Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me." Matthew 25:41-45
Now keep in mind that doing this sort of thing is never about you. It is also possibly not even about the person you are helping, but more about that next time. However, the person themselves may very well be someone God put there for you. Therefore, it is always wise to follow the wisdom of the Word of God, when it comes to dealing with strangers.
"Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." Colossians 4:5-6
Peter encourages children of God this.
"but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect," 1 Peter 3:15
The Bible even comes right out and says this plainly.
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2
Wait, what? Yup. I have shared this story before but I am going to share it here again. Before you ask, I have no idea if he was an Angel or not. Ok, two stories.

I was working as a Night Auditor in the Hotel business and a man came in and asked if he could use the bathroom. He was dirty. He looked like a bum. I told him that it was ok, very reluctantly I might add. I was just recently saved and was reading one of those pocket-size Bibles. The ones with the New Testament and Psalms. This continued for a few days. One morning, for whatever reason I got in my Spirit, give him your Bible. I remember thinking, "No. My Bible." "Give him your Bible, and put twenty dollars in it." "Wait. first, my Bible. He is never going to read it. Second, all I have is twenty dollars. I don't wanna."

Well, he comes out of the bathroom and walks across the lobby. I had put the twenty in the Bible but I was not trying to get his attention as he walked through the lobby. As he got to the door, I said, "Sir? I have no idea why, but God asked me to give this to you." He stopped, smiled, and walked across and took the Bible from my outstretched hand. "Thank you." He said with a smile as he turned and walked out the door.

I remember thinking, "Did he find the money? Did he just through the Bible out? What was the point of the whole thing? I guess I could ask him or see if he acts any different tomorrow." Guess what? Tomorrow never came. Meaning, he never came back. I have no idea what happened to him. I have no idea why what happened happened. I have not idea whatsoever what any of that was about. All I can say is that I, begrudgingly, was obedient to what I was lead to do. Was it a test? I do not know. Was it something the man really needed? Maybe he just needed money for a bus ticket? I do not know. Was he an angel? I may never know. But I did what I felt was right. Even if I really did not want to at the time.

Here is a story of a stranger helping me. This one was when I was first saved. I bought a car, a Chevy Chevette for those of you who know what that is, from one of the guys that lead me to Christ. I was driving it down the road and it just died. As I was coasting to a busy four-way intersection, the light changed green and I was able to coast into a gas station.

I'm standing there, hood up, looking at the engine, when I heard a voice behind me. "Won't Start?" I remember thinking, "Nah, why would you think that?" What I said was "No." "Are you a Christian?" Huh? "Uh, yes?" "Then I have to help you then don't I." He walks away.

I watch as he walks over to a truck and a car carrier. On the carrier was a brand new shiny red sports car. He took the sports car off and left it on the side of the gas station and drove over to me. He loaded my broken down Chevette, not worth even the money I paid my friend for it, and said, "Where do we need to go?" We got to the destination and I offered some money I have in my pocket, and he said, "No thank you." I stood there in awe as I watched him drive away. Why did he do what he did? I do not know. Was he a fellow Christian who just wanted to help? I do not know. Why did he ask me specifically if I was a Christian? I do not know. Was he an angel sent to help me? I do not know. But what I do know is that I confessed to being a child of God, and I was helped in my time of need, in the name of God. So?

You meet people every day of your life. Some are decent people. Some are bad. Some are your brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, in the family of God. Some are enemies. Some are lost. Some are hurting. Some are looking for love. All are looking for kindness, even if they do not know it. I love this phrase.

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never ever eat pears! Remember – hate is always foolish…and love, is always wise. Always try, to be nice, and never fail to be kind." 12th Doctor, Doctor Who.

You can eat pears if you want. I personally do not like them either. But it is true. Always treat people the way you would like to be treated.
"And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise." Luke 6:31
Not to mention again, but if the word says it, it must be true. You may be hosting an Angel. You may even be hosting Jesus Himself. Remember this event following the resurrection? They were walking along the road and talking about all that happened. They were talking about all that they have seen, heard, and done, for the past few years at Jesus's side. Then this happened.
"and they were talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. But their eyes were kept from recognizing him." Luke 24:14-17
These people lived with, ate with, slept with, Jesus. Everyday. They witnessed miracles and watched the dead rise. Yet, they did not know Jesus as He walked with them. Would you recognize Jesus if He came to you?

What about you? You may be the only "Jesus" someone ever meets. How are they seeing you? More on that next time. Do you know Jesus as your Savior? Have you been adopted into the Family of God? If not, say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I believed He raised from the dead. I repent my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead, you shall be saved." Romans 10:9. You need to find a Church that God leads you to and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A New Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."Colossians 3:10

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. 2 Corinthians 13


Until next time, be blessed, be a blessing, and Jesus is Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...