Sunday, April 14, 2019

Jesus in the Old Testament, 2 Samuel

Jesus in 2 Samuel



We are studying this Statement from Jesus, John 5:39.
You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,”
Now remember in 1 Samuel, David was a teenager when Samuel Anointed him to be King over Israel. However, for some 25 years or so, David was leading Armies into Battle and running from Saul, who was trying to kill him. We continue David’s story here in 2 Samuel. We pick up immediately after Saul’s Death. David is finally made King of Judah in the South while Ish-bosheth the son of Saul was made King of Israel in the North.

These were divided as you might imagine and in time, we see David growing stronger and stronger and as we jump ahead to 2 Samuel 5 we see David become King of Kings if you will. He becomes the King of Israel.
“Then all the tribes of Israel came to David at Hebron and said, “Behold, we are your bone and flesh. In times past, when Saul was king over us, it was you who led out and brought in Israel. And the Lord said to you, ‘You shall be shepherd of my people Israel, and you shall be prince over Israel.’” So all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, and King David made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord, and they anointed David king over Israel. David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years. At Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and at Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years.”
Approximately One Thousand Years after David, the Lord Jesus The Christ was born of David’s Seed and Bloodline as spoken in 2 Samuel 7:12-13
“When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever..”
He was both David's son and David's Lord. Jesus Himself pointed this out in Matthew 22:42-46
What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said to him, “The son of David.” He said to them, “How is it then that David, in the Spirit, calls him Lord, saying,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord,“Sit at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet”’? {Psalm 110:1}

If then David calls him Lord, how is he his son?” And no one was able to answer him a word, nor from that day did anyone dare to ask him any more questions.”
Now that David was made King over all, he established a Stronghold on Mount Zion, one of several Mountains in Jerusalem, and this became the center of David’s Kingdom. David established his Palace and his center of Government there. God established his Great king in his Great city. The City of David.

David became greater and greater, and God was with him. Hiram king of Tyre sent Messengers to David, and Cedar Trees, also Carpenters and masons who built David a House. David knew that the Lord had established him King over Israel, and that He had exalted his Kingdom for the sake of His {God’s} People Israel.

Unlike other Kings, David Ruled Humbly and always with the Thought of God in the forefront of his Mind. Well, for the most part. However, he was not comfortable with what he had knowing that there was one thing missing.
“Now when the king lived in his house and the Lord had given him rest from all his surrounding enemies, the king said to Nathan the prophet, “See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a tent.” And Nathan said to the king, “Go, do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you.””
That very night, however, Nathan got this message from God.
“Thus says the Lord: Would you build me a house to dwell in? I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent for my dwelling. In all places where I have moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’
God was telling David, this is not my concern. YOU and your Kingdom, MY Kingdom, is My concern. Now follow along with this carefully.
“Now, therefore, thus you shall say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel. And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly, from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will give you rest from all your enemies.”
Now you need to think about Jesus here and follow these next words carefully.
“Moreover, the Lord declares to you that the Lord will make you a house. When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity, I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men, but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.’” In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David.”
I hope you can now clearly see that Jesus, see the lineage of Jesus in Matthew 1, comes from the seed of David. Hence, He is the Son of David, yet, David knew that He was the Lord and The Christ to be would be coming from God and would be God, therefore he called Him Lord.

The Angel of the Lord also stated this in Luke 1:32–33
“He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
Now David went on to do amazing and seemingly impossible things as we saw Jesus work Miracles. Unlike David who Sinned and was far from Perfect, we see Jesus, the only to fulfill this Prophecy as with all the others, was Perfect and took the Sins from all Mankind before “the rod of men,” and receiving “the stripes of the sons of men,” made us free from our own Sins. We will continue in 1 Kings next time.

Do you know Jesus as your Savior? Have you been adopted into the Family of God? If not, say this Prayer. Right now. Wherever you may be. Say it in your own words, and do not doubt in your heart. God will hear you. He will send the Spirit of Life to you. Let us Pray.

"Oh heavenly Father, Lord God. I am a sinner. I know this. I know there is nothing I can do to change that. But I know you can. I accept Jesus's sacrifice for me. I repent of my sins. Please send the Spirit of Adoption into my life. Help me to get to know the real you. Save me. Please. In the name of Jesus, Amen!"

That's it. It really is that simple. Now go tell someone what you have just done. "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." {Romans 10:9} You need to find a Church that God leads you to, and be Baptized the way Jesus said to be. You are now a Child of God. A new Creature. You "have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him." {Colossians 3:10}

If you want to tell me, or comment, question, give testimonials, or just say "Hi," the Email is opntalk@gmail.com

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. {2 Corinthians 13
}

Until next time, Be Blessed, Be a Blessing, and Jesus IS Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Mark, Chapter 2

 Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic 1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 And many were...